View The Festival of Trees
The Lincoln County Offices will be closed on
December 24 and 25
in observance of Christmas.
Lincoln County, located in southeastern South Dakota, was incorporated December 30, 1867. It includes an area of 576 square miles and population of 44,828 at last census. Lincoln County, the fastest growing county in South Dakota, now ranks as the third largest county. The Lincoln County Courthouse has marked the center of Canton, the county seat, for many years. The first Courthouse was erected and donated to Lincoln County in 1875 by the Canton Building and Improvement Association.
In 1889 a three and one-half story addition to the east side was built and ready for occupancy by February 1890. In 1899 the original courthouse was removed and the west addition was built and the clock tower was added. In May of 2008 construction was completed on a new Administration Building, which is a three-floor addition to the north side. It houses all of the county administrative offices. The historic building has been renovated to add needed space for Court Services.