What information do I need if I purchased a vehicle?
  • A valid South Dakota Driver’s license/ID.
    If you are an out of state resident you will need a valid driver's license/ID and Social Security Card or W2.
  • The title of your new car. 
  • Purchase agreement, bill of sale
  • Weight slip (trailers, campers, motorhomes)- if out state title
    • Dry, empty, unladen, weight ticket,
    • Nothing with a G in front of the lbs

Payments we accept:

  • Check
    • Must have a current Pre-printed SD address under YOUR name
    • Checks with an old or incorrect mailing address under your name will not be accepted.
  • Money order
  • Cashier’s check
  • Cash
  • Credit
    • Visa
    • Mastercard
    • American Express
    • Debit    


Show All Answers

1. What documents do I need for Motor Vehicle and Boat Applications?
2. What information do I need if I purchased a vehicle?
3. What if my vehicle title that I want to transfer is held by a lender?
4. What do I need to do to sell/buy a car to/from a private party?
5. Can I get a refund on my tags if I move out of state?
6. Can I get a refund on my renewal fees if I sell my car?
7. How is the annual renewal fee computed?
8. When are renewal notices sent out?
9. What forms of payment do you take?
10. How can I find a Kiosk to renew my tags?
11. Can I renew my tags on line?
12. What tax relief programs are available to me?